SEISS Grant 5 – Are you eligible? Who can claim
Find out if you’re able to claim for a Self-Employment Income Support Scheme (SEISS) grant by checking that you meet all criteria in stages 1, 2 and 3.
Stage 1: Your trading status and when you must have traded
You must be a self-employed individual or a member of a partnership.
You must also have traded in both tax years:
- 2019 to 2020
- 2020 to 2021
You cannot claim the grant if you trade through a limited company or a trust.
Stage 2: Tax returns and trading profits
You must have:
- submitted your 2019 to 2020 tax return on or before 2 March 2021
- trading profits of no more than £50,000
- trading profits at least equal to your non-trading income
Non-trading income is any money that you make outside of your business. For example, if you also have a part-time job or pension.
If you’re not eligible based on the trading profits in your 2019 to 2020 return, we’ll look back at previous years.
HMRC will already have contacted you if you’re eligible for the grant based on your tax returns.
Find out more about how HMRC works out trading profits and non-trading income.
Stage 3: Deciding if you can claim
When you make your claim you must tell us that you:
- intend to keep trading in 2021 to 2022
- reasonably believe there will be a significant reduction in your trading profits due to the impact of COVID-19 between 1 May 2021 and 30 September 2021
If you think your business has been impacted by COVID-19, find out how to decide if you can make a claim.
How different circumstances affect the scheme
There are some circumstances that you should take into account, such as:
- your return is late, amended or under enquiry
- you’re a member of a partnership
- you had a new child
- you have loans covered by the loan charge provisions
- you claim averaging relief
- you’re a military reservist
- you’re non-resident or chose the remittance basis
If you claim Maternity Allowance this will not affect your eligibility for the grant.
Find out more information on how your circumstances affect your eligibility.
Get ready to claim
The fifth grant is different from previous grants. In most cases, when making your claim you’ll need to tell us about your business turnover so we can work out your grant amount…